<FAQ | NMS West Campus
Home > FAQ


What is the curriculum for the 2+2 American Bachelor’s Degree Program?

First two years at NMS in India
For the first two years, the curriculum is the same as the curriculum for the Broward College Associate of Arts Degree Program. There will be 36 credits of General Education and 24 credits of Electives. The complete program description is given at:
http://www.broward.edu/academics/programs/Program Sheet Library/1010.pdf
At NMS we will be offering those courses that will ensure that you complete the General Education requirements and the Electives requirements so you graduate with an Associate of Arts degree, with which you can transfer into a higher level baccalaureate program (bachelor’s degree program).

Two more years in the American university
For years 3 and 4, the curriculum will depend on the major subject, the degree, the university to which the student transfers, and the interests of the student. Typically the student will complete 60 – 70 credits in years 3 and 4, with a concentration on a major subject, fulfilling other requirements of the degree that is sought. A student will typically apply for a BA or a BS program.

For students who have done IB, AP or British “A” Levels, are credits given for coursework completed? And if so, for which courses? Does this reduce the amount of coursework to be done? How is this credit awarded? Is there a fee for the evaluation of coursework done before joining Broward?

Credits can be given for students who have done IB level courses, IB diplomas, AP courses or British A Levels. The minimum credits awarded, and the courses for which they may be given are listed in this manual:
http://www.broward.edu/legal/policies/Section Template/A6Hx2-4.11.pdf
There is a procedure to be followed for getting this college credit, including providing the necessary paperwork and grades. There may be a cost associated with the evaluation of each course. This cost will be borne by the student seeking the credit.
Credits for prior coursework, and associated evaluations will only be done after the student has accepted admission into the school, and has paid a fee confirming their place. Evaluation for credits for prior coursework will not be done during the application process.
The rules governing giving credit for prior coursework are subject to change. In all matters, the decision of Broward College is final.

What are the international centers of Broward College?

Broward College has been running the 2 year Associate of Arts degree in many countries for several years, with Sri Lanka being the oldest center. The list of Broward College international centers is growing, with new centers being added.
The most current information on the Broward College International program is available at the following website: http://www.broward.edu/international/Pages/Center-and-Affiliates-Home.aspx
Broward College international affiliates are located in China, Colombia, Guyana and Bolivia.
Broward College international centers are located in Ecuador, Peru, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Singapore and India.

What is the difference in fees between India and the USA?

American universities and colleges distinguish between in-state and out-of-state tuition fees for students. In-state tuition is paid by those who have lived in that state for a few years and who have paid taxes there, and it is substantially lower than out-of-state tuition fees. Out-of-state tuition fees is paid by those who do not have a domicile in the state, and who have not paid taxes in that state. This includes foreign students.
Indian students can expect to pay out-of-state tuition fees in any institution. Private universities may not distinguish between in-state and out-of-state and may offer the same tuition fees to all students.

What is the P.E.R.T Test?

Post-secondary Education Readiness Test is a placement test that determines the college readiness of a student. It is a computer-based adaptive test. It should be taken by students who have not taken the SAT or ACT, or who have low scores on other aptitude tests.

Where can I find study guides for the P.E.R.T?

See https://college.measuredsuccess.com/mscollege/practiceTest2/index.html
Also See http://www.fldoe.org/schools/pdf/PERT-studentstudyguide.pdf

Can I transfer my credits to ANY University in the United States?

In the U.S, each college and university decides for itself whether to accept transfer credit from another institution or not, you will be told on application if they will accept your credits. Broward College will accept your credits through our affiliation. However, the AA degree which you will get from Broward College, after completing the first two years at NMS will make you eligible to apply for transfer into 3rd year to any university in US.

What are the credentials of the faculty who teach for the NMS Associate of Arts degree program?

According to the requirements of the accrediting agency, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), all faculty teaching in the Broward program at CIE will have academic credentials conforming to SACS specified criteria. These would include a Doctorate or a Master's from a US university. Some of our faculty members are visiting professors regularly teaching courses in international universities.

Will I be helped with the process of transfer to the American university?

Our counselors will help you right from the beginning to identify your target universities, and help you with the transfer process. The cost applying for transfer is borne by you.

What happens if I do not get a visa to go to the USA after the first two years?

The Associate of Arts degree from Broward College is an accredited degree program. You can apply as a transfer student to any foreign university that accepts the American AA program. Our understanding is that the chances are bright for getting a student visa to the USA, but if for any reason your visa gets rejected, you can apply to universities in other countries, and complete your bachelor’s degree.

Can I transfer after the first year at NMS?

NMS expects the students to complete the two years which they have been admitted for. However, if for some valid reason the student wants to expedite his/her shifting to US at the end of first year itself, the same may be allowed. There may be some administrative fee involved to terminate the program at NMS at the end of first year.

What is the difference between the 2+2 program and the twinning program?

The twinning program is a one : one relationship between two universities. Students join the first university with the understanding that they will go to the partner university only.
The 2+2 program is a one : many relationship. Students join the first institution with the understanding that they can transfer to ANY institution after the first two years. The advantages of the 2+2 program are that the student is not bound to one institution on completion of the first two years. This mitigates risks such as visa rejection and financial obligations.